The inspiration for these DIY string chandeliers came from Ruffled.
This is such an easy and fun way to add character to a space!
I'll walk you through the steps on how to make your own string chandeliers!!
1. Inflate the balloon to your desired size a shape. I made a variety of different shapes and sizes.
2. If you’re looking to make a lampshade out of the string chandelier, use a sharpie to mark a circle around the tie of the balloon that will leave a space for the bulb to fit in.
3. Before you start working, we recommend using a tarp. Mix corn starch, glue and warm water together until it has a smooth texture. ( An alternative would be to mix water and flour, 1:2 flour to water ratio)
4. Smear the vaseline all over your balloon until it is completely coated so the twine wet with glue won’t stick on the balloon after dry.
5. You can start a little assembly line with friends by one of you feeding the yarn through the glue mix and giving to another person to wrap it around the balloon.
6. Start wrapping the balloon vertically, and slowly change to wrapping horizontally. For a seamless look, tuck the ends of the twine under one of the wrapped strings.
7. Wait 24 hours until the balloon has completely dried before popping the balloon.